Hypersonic Technology Demonstrator Vehicle
- Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) on September 7 successfully demonstrated the hypersonic air-breathing scramjet technology with the flight test of Hypersonic Technology Demonstration Vehicle (HSTDV).
- The hypersonic cruise vehicle was launched using a proven solid rocket motor, which took it to an altitude of 30 kilometres (km), where the aerodynamic heat shields were separated at hypersonic Mach number.
Third Rashtriya Poshan Maah
- The 3rd Rashtriya Poshan Maah is being celebrated during the month of September 2020.
- Every year the Poshan Maah is celebrated under POSHAN Abhiyaan (PM’s Overarching Scheme for Holistic Nourishment), which was launched in 2018.
- Ministry of Women and Child Development, being the nodal Ministry for POSHAN Abhiyaan, is celebrating the Poshan Maah in convergence with partner Ministries and departments, at National, States/UTs, Districts, and grass root level.
- The objective of the Poshan Maah is to encourage Jan Bhagidaari, in order to create a Jan Andolan, for addressing malnutrition amongst young children, and women and to ensure health and nutrition for everyone.
- Identification of Severely Acute Malnourished (SAM) Children and their management and plantation of Poshan Vaatikas- Nutri gardens, will be undertaken as focus activities during Poshan Maah.
4th Edition Of Business Reform Action Plan (BRAP) Ranking Of States
Nirmala Sitharaman, Union Minister of Finance and Corporate Affairs, on September 5 announced the 4th edition of Business Reform Action Plan (BRAP) ranking of states.
- Ranking of States based on the implementation of Business Reform Action Plan started in the year 2015.
- Till date, State Rankings have been released for the years 2015, 2016 and 2017-18.The Business Reform Action Plan 2018-19 includes 180 reform points covering 12 business regulatory areas such as Access to Information, Single Window System, Labour, Environment, etc.
- The larger objective of attracting investments and increasing Ease of Doing Business in each State was sought to be achieved by introducing an element of healthy competition through a system of ranking states based on their performance in the implementation of Business Reform Action Plan.
- The ranking this time gives full weightage to the feedback from over thirty thousand respondents at the ground level, who gave their opinion about the effectiveness of the reforms.
- State rankings will help attract investments, foster healthy competition and increase Ease of Doing Business in each State.
The top ten states under State Reform Action Plan 2019 are:
- Andhra Pradesh
- Uttar Pradesh
- Madhya Pradesh
- Himachal Pradesh
- West Bengal
Indian Astronomers Discover One Of The Farthest Star Galaxies In The Universe
- As a landmark achievement in Space missions, Indian Astronomers have discovered one of the farthest Star galaxies in the universe.
- The Government on September 1 informed that India’s first Multi-Wavelength Space Observatory “AstroSat” has detected extreme-UV light from a galaxy located 9.3 billion light-years away from Earth.
- The galaxy called AUDFs01 was discovered by a team of Astronomers led by Dr Kanak Saha from the Inter-University Centre for Astronomy and Astrophysics (IUCAA) Pune.
- The importance and uniqueness of this original discovery can be made out from the fact that it has been reported in the leading international journal “Nature Astronomy” published from Britain.
- India’s first Space Observatory AstroSat, which has made this discovery, was launched by the Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) on September 28, 2015.
The Union Cabinet on September 2 approved launching of a National Programme for Civil Services Capacity Building (NPCSCB)with the following institutional framework:
i) Prime Minister’s Public Human Resources (HR) Council,
(ii) Capacity Building Commission.
(iii) Special Purpose Vehicle for owning and operating the digital assets and the technological platform for online training,
(iv) Coordination Unit headed by the Cabinet Secretary.
NPCSCB has been carefully designed to lay the foundations for capacity building for Civil Servants so that they remain entrenched in Indian Culture and sensibilities and remain connected, with their roots, while they learn from the best institutions and practices across the world.
Global Innovation Index
- India has climbed 4 spots and has been ranked 48thby the World Intellectual Property Organization in the Global Innovation Index 2020 rankings.
- India was at the 52nd position in 2019 and was ranked 81st in the year 2015.
- The WIPO had also accepted India as one of the leading innovation achievers of 2019 in the central and southern Asian region, as it has shown a consistent improvement in its innovation ranking for the last 5 years.
- The consistent improvement in the global innovation index rankings is owing to the immense knowledge capital, the vibrant startup ecosystem, and the amazing work done by the public & private research organizations. The scientific ministries like the Department of Science and Technology, the Department of Biotechnology and the Department of space have played a pivotal role in the enriching the national innovation Ecosystem.