‘Prarambh: Startup India International Summit’
The two day ‘Prarambh’, Startup India International Summit begin in New Delhi today, with members of BIMSTEC (Bay of Bengal Initiative for Multi-Sectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation) countries participating in the inaugural event.
The Summit is being organizing by Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade, M/o Commerce & Industry, as a follow up of the announcement made by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi at the 4th BIMSTEC Summit held in Kathmandu in August, 2018.
With participation from over 25 countries and more than 200 global speakers, the Summit is the largest Startup India International Summit organized by the Government of India since the launch of the Startup India Initiative in 2016. The Summit is having 24 sessions with focus on enhancing multilateral cooperation and engagement with the countries from around the global to collectively develop and strengthen the Startup ecosystem.
India Meteorological Department (IMD) celebrates its 146th Foundation Day
India Meteorological Department (IMD) today celebrated its 146th Foundation Day. IMD is one of the oldest, scientific service organizations in the country, in existence well before Independence.
- Recently in last monsoon season, IMD introduced Flash flood Guidance for all 30,000 watersheds of the country every 6 hours.
- Flash flood Guidance is also provided to Nepal, Bhutan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka every 6 hours.
- Urban flood warning system for Mumbai was inaugurated in July 2020 which has helped in better management of heavy rainfall events and floods over Mumbai. Similar system has also been implemented in Chennai and being extended to Kolkata and Delhi in coming years.
- India Meteorological Department is modernizing its observational network in the Central and Western Himalayas by installation of state of art Doppler Weather Radars in a phased manner, at different locations.
- WMO has recognized IMD for various activities like continuous observations for more than 100 years. About 12 observatories in the country have been recognized so far as centennial stations.