Bird flu deaths on the rise
The Union Ministry of Environment, Science and Climate Change (MoEF&CC) has ordered a strict vigil on the wintering habitats of migratory birds for any sign of a flu outbreak in the backdrop of rising deaths of birds.
- The ministry issued a set of guidelines January 3, 2021 in view of Himachal Pradesh and Rajasthan reporting several deaths in December alone.
- In terms of personal care, the guidelines stated, the personnel should wear rubber gloves and protective clothing that can be disinfected or disposed of, including protective eyewear and face shield.
Covid and the deepening divide in society
- Covid has sharpened social and economic divide in societies the world over.
It has widened economic inequalities across the world.
- India’s GDP contracted by 23.9 per cent and 7.5 per cent during the first two quarters of 2020-21. This was the direct outcome of the lockdowns.
- Restoration of trust amongst large sections of the alienated population must be one of the principal priorities of democratic governments in countries such as ours.
Source: This note is based on the article titled Covid and the deepening divide in society (Business Line)
People-to-people connectivity with neighboring countries
Major change is afoot in India’s Eastern Region that will improve the wellbeing of millions in Bangladesh, Bhutan, Nepal and India. This is centred on people-to-people connectivity and welfare.
- A recently concluded meeting of India-Nepal Inter-Governmental Committee on Trade, Transit and Cooperation indicates the need for such progressive steps for the two countries.
- BBIN plus Myanmar on the east and Sri Lanka and the Maldives in the south of India will give a major boost to people to people connectivity.
- Cross-border economic and commercial zones will promote sustainable creation and distribution of jobs and livelihood.
- Border haats between India and Bangladesh are a successful model for promoting socio-economic development.
- As a transit country, India is going to get immense benefits from the recently signed Bhutan-Bangladesh Preferential Trade Agreement.
- India will also benefit from Kaladan Multi-Modal Transit Transport Project between India and Myanmar.
- India’s Border Roads Organisation is committed to develop border infrastructure.
- India should transform its borders with friendlier nations in our immediate neighbourhood.
Source: This note is based on the article titled India’s neighbourhood first in practice, published in The Economic Times